Lesson Plans (Something New Every Few Months!)
FIRST GRADE PHYSICS
Students will participate in theater games and arts integration activities that will reinforce the concepts and vocabulary involved in Newton's Laws. (Downloadable PDF of Complete Newton's Law unit)
- Physical Science Standard #5: Recognize that under certain conditions, objects can be balanced.
- Physical Science Standard #4: Demonstrate that the way to change the motion or an object is to apply a force (give it a push or pull). The greater the force, the greater the change in the motion of that object
- Physical Science Standard #3: Demonstrate the various ways that objects can move such as a straight line, zigzag, back and forth, round and round, fast and slow.
- Theater Standard # 3.6: Demonstrate the ability to work effectively alone and cooperatively with a partner or in an ensemble
- Push/pull breath
- Staged poem
- Slide show
- Cooperative line walk
- Cooperative motion dance.
- Last tree standing with motion transfer
- Boogie down Broadway
- Balance partners
Push/ Pull Breath and Stretch:
Object of the Activity:
Students will breathe deeply, and embody the words 'pull' and 'push' both through their breath, and through large gross-motor movements.
Body/mind connection, Vocabulary Comprehension, Focus and Concentration
Time Needed: 5 minutes
How to Play:
- Instruct students to find a space in the classroom where they can safely extend their arms or legs without bumping anyone.
- Instruct students to pull in a deep breath through their noses, while raising their arms.
- Then, instruct students to push their arms palm down, to their sides while pushing air out their mouth. Emphasize the words pull and push.
- Now, instruct students to push an imaginary large object forward, then push it up above their heads.
(This curriculum was developed in David Clark's First Grade class at The Peck Full Service Community School, Holyoke, MA. 2012)